Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

_|A STUDY: Deviation from the random distribution pattern of influenza A virus...|_

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _|A STUDY: Deviation from the random distribution pattern of influenza A virus...|_

Arch Virol. 2008 Apr 15 [Epub ahead of print]

Deviation from the random distribution pattern of influenza A virus gene segments in reassortants produced under non-selective conditions.
    Varich NL, Gitelman AK, Shilov AA, Smirnov YA, Kaverin NV.
    The D. I. Ivanovsky Institute of Virology RAMS, 16 Gamaleya Str, 123098, Moscow, Russia.

High-frequency reassortment of gene segments is characteristic for influenza viruses, and it is considered to be of significance for the origin of pandemic influenza.
    In order to analyze whether the segregation of genes in the reassortants is random, or it deviates from the random pattern, we inoculated embryonated chicken eggs simultaneously with two influenza viruses, A/WSN/33 (H1N1) and A/Duck/ Czechoslovakia/56 (H4N6), at a high multiplicity of infection.
    The virus yield was used for plaque cloning, and the genetic content of plaque isolates was determined by analysis of the mobility of virus-induced proteins in polyacrylamide gel (for NP and NS genes), partial sequencing (for M gene) and polymerase chain reaction analysis with strain-specific primers for the other genes.
    Out of 37 isolates, 27 were reassortants.
    The majority of the reassortants contained the HA gene of A/WSN/33 (H1N1) virus and the NP gene of A/Duck/Czechoslovakia/56 (H4N6) virus.
    The data demonstrate the previously unrecognized phenomenon of segment-specific deviation from the random distribution of parent genes in the reassortants.
    The results are discussed in connection with the problem of differential competition between influenza A virus gene segments in mixed infection and random versus non-random reassortment of gene segments under non-selective conditions. PMID: 18414973 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
    ------

Re: _|A STUDY: Deviation from the random distribution pattern of influenza A virus...|_

Why H1N1,the WSN/33 is being use ??

Comment

Re: _|A STUDY: Deviation from the random distribution pattern of influenza A virus...|_

Originally posted by Snowy Owl View Post
      ..well.. how many countries do have A/WSN/33 ?? I instinctively do not like this one.
      Perhaps, do you consider this lab strain as a threat?

Comment

it is being used for vaccines and has already "escaped".
        I think it was in the Mongolian Camels , or at least a similar strain

hmm, 27 out of 37 were reassortants. Any recombinations ?
        The frequency, which segments combine should strongly depend
        on the virus. So we better make a statistics of the combinations
        for all reassortments found in genbank.

I might do it in theory, but it's not so easy for me, takes time.

A list of all known reassortments would be useful.
        Someone could also look through the papers and list
        the mentioned reassortments.

596 google-hits for reassortment
        589 for reassortment and influenza
        I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
        my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Working...
        X